Thursday, July 2, 2009

Well... You have to take the good with the bad.

I was very excited to get a call from my son tonight, but before I could get too happy, he said, "Don't get too excited yet. I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that I've been reverted to Victor Company and I won't graduate until July 31st rather than July 24th." Well, that just let the air out of my balloon. I asked what happened and he said, "Well, they got me the first time for having dirty laundry in my rack and then (I'm assuming today) they found a damp towel in my rack so I got busted." I said, "Well, that's a tough break." He said, "But the good news is that I've got my assignment! I'm going to the USCGC Dallas in Charleston, SC!!" He was excited about that! I told him that I would change all our travel plans and we'd see him on the 31st. He said he thought he'd get to call me again next weekend!

I am disappointed, but it's just one of those life lessons that he has to learn and it's one of the hardest kind for him to learn! He's a slob! LOL! I admit it! I was hoping they would break him of it. Either they will, or he will stay in boot camp for a year! LOL!!!
On a brighter note, he is kicking butt in class!!! He said he was acing all the tests and he was one of nine that made 100 on the mid-term! So that makes me really proud!
I wish I didn't have to wait another week to see him, but he's learning the hard way what it means to follow orders and be precise!
Semper Paratus!

4 comments:

Shayla said...

Hey girl! When I talked to Lee he told me the news about Brian on Friday morning :(

I'm really bummed because I wanted to meet you at graduation!!!! I'm making plans to go--nothing is set in stone or for sure, but I'm trying my best.

Lee said Brian is a great guy, and he's sure he will do well the rest of the time he's there.

Lee will be staioned in Corpus Christi (YAY for staying in TX!) If I do go to the graduation I will fill you in so that you know what to expect.

How is your back doing??? I hope you are feeling Tons better!!!!!

~Shayla

Mama Vedo said...

I'm doing pretty good. I still have pain, but that's to be expected considering what he had to do. It's much better than the pain after first surgery so I have high hopes.

And, I really wanted to meet you too!!! I am disappointed, but he has to learn he hard way. LOL! He's a great kid, but he's hard-headed! LOL!

And I'm really glad Lee is going to be in Texas! That's fantastic news!

Let me know how everything goes!

Shayla said...

to be perfectly honest, I SERIOUSLY thought Lee would get held back (he has lots of issues with memorization- and getting places on time- and doing things in a specific way) SO you can imagine the shock when he told me how great he is doing!!!!!!!! It has been a HUGE suprise for everyone who knows him to hear about his success with military life (Lee was in show choir for cryin out loud!!being in the military is a complete lifestyle change)

Brian is also much younger than Lee (to my knowledge he just graduated high school right?) Lee turns 23 in the fall. Its harder to go through boot camp fresh out of high school (i've been told its easier physically but way harder mentally and emotionally)

I am sure Brian will be an AMAZING COASTIE!!! so you and I will have to keep in contact bc coasties move so often we might cross paths again :D

Lee will be in SC for school so maybe if Brian is still over there we might can meet up sometime!!!

Mama Vedo said...

LOL! No, Brian will be 21 in October. He's just a slob! LOL! Hopefully, he's learned his lesson! At least he's doing great with the classwork! =}